Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Kindness

There are times in life where we feel left out, lonely and abandoned. Throughout my life that has been a frequent, when I was younger I was often the target of bullies, and was put down through mean words on a daily basis. I never really fit in that well, which is what made high school really hard. However throughout high school there were a few people who would pick me up, and build me up, and were genuinely kind to me. These were the types of people who helped me get through that time, and after graduation and going all our separate ways, I would on occasion keep in tough through social media. It wasn't often, but enough to know that we still considered each other friends.

One of these people messaged me this evening(I have not spoken to her in years), asking for my address, so that she could send me a "save the date" card to her upcoming wedding. I thought that it might have been a mistake but, it wasn't. In that moment I started to cry, feeling touched that she had thought of ME, and wanted to share her special day with me. These moments make me look back at that high school time that I hated so much, and desperately want to forget, and wish that I had enjoyed it more. I have been told that we as humans will never know how much we are loved by others, until we are shown an act of kindness. I am so excited for my friend, and can't wait till she gets her chance to walk down the aisle, and I want to thank her SO MUCH for all those years in high school where she sat and talked with me, and sometimes just listened. She made a huge impact on my life, but I never realized how much I made on her. So don't ever miss a chance to share that kindness with someone else, who knows what kind of mark you may leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment